“The appetite is sharpened by the first bites.” ~Jose Rizal (1861-1896)
My first attempt ever in making empanadas! I remember eating loads of these when I was a kid. I’ve tried my best to replicate them, but its hard without meat. They still were good and are freezable :]
(Makes 12 Empanadas)
For the filling:
- 1 Boca burger patty chopped in pieces
- 1/2 of an onion finely chopped
- 1/2 of a medium carrot shredded
- 1 can of green peas drained
- 3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1 tbsp of soy sauce
- a handful of raisins
- 1 small potato diced
- salt & pepper for taste
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
For the dough:
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp of salt
- 1 stick of room temperature butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1/4 cup cold water
- In a bowl, combine flour and salt.
- Then add and mix in butter in pieces.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg, vinegar, and cold water.
- Combine this mixture into flour and salt bowl. Mix using hands until dough like.
- Make into circular shape and cover plastic wrap. Allow to sit in the fridge for about 1 hour.
- In frying pan, add oil and saute the onions, garlic, and Boca burger meat til brown.
- Then add in carrots and potatoes. Continuously, adding salt and pepper let this cook for about 10 minutes or until potato is tender.
- Then add raisins and peas.
- Then let it sit and cool.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- After an hour has passed, take dough out of fridge.
- Find a flat surface and roll dough into little golf balls.
- Then flatten on flat surface (with rolling pin or hands).
- Then add a spoonful of filling into flattened dough.
- Fold and pinch corners to close. (You can use a fork to help and decorative ridges)
Leave a Reply